Hello, Haroseth

I love it when you try something new and it feels as though you've known it all along. I had not ever tried haroseth, a traditional Passover dish. But it has a familiar taste to it. It is like remembering fig newton cookies and rugelach. A mix of dried fruit and toasted nuts, spices and a dash of wine, this sweet spread is served with matzoth at Passover. I decided to use the mixture as a tart filling. Sweet dough is fun to make. It's a tactile experience from the start, from incorporating the butter and dry ingredients to the little tin foil pockets of beans you put into the shells while they bake. Sweet dough forgives all your stretching and maneuvering into the tins. It's flexible and easy-going. And the sweet buttery result is worth the mess in your kitchen.

For the dinner party, I made some savory dishes to partner with the tarts. A mixed vegetable salad with a Greek twist, Turkish lamb meatballs with accompanying roasted red pepper sauce, as well as hummus and flatbread. The lamb meatball recipe is from Bon Appétit, earlier this year. They were easy to make, but the fragrance lasted for days, even after tart baking. Not an unappealing smell, but still strong. The roasted red pepper sauce recipe called for pomegranate molasses, which I did not have or try to locate. Instead, I used a bit of maple syrup and a dash of balsamic. I have no idea if this comes close to the intended flavor, but it worked for me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts