Holiday Baking During a Pandemic

This year has been a challenge for many.  Navigating daily life during a pandemic is hard enough, but getting laid off and slugging through months of unemployment and job applications left me feeling unmoored.  It's been a year to evaluate what is truly important.  This holiday season I'm missing extended family and friends.  As a relatively quiet person, I don't miss all the parties, but I miss the small conversations and connections, usually at the beginning or the end of the night.  And I miss the variety of holiday treats shared. 

(above photo from Smitten Kitchen)


My mother came for a visit recently.  We had a lovely chat beneath the twinkle lights outside.  (Masked and at a distance is the way to socialize this year.)  She gave me a box of See's chocolates from my grandfather.  I always cut open pieces to find my favorites.  I love the chocolate covered caramels best.  That reminded me to try making Smitten Kitchen's Apple Cider Caramels.  I don't make candy often, and don't have a candy thermometer, but this recipe is quite simple.  Cutting the caramels is the most challenging step.  As you can see, my finished product was not as pretty as Deb's.  Sometimes messy is okay.  I packaged up a few jars to share with others.  We're not having holiday buffets, but it is a season for sharing and connection, and best wishes for the future.




Comments

Popular Posts