Toasted pasta

Browsing through the cookbook section at Powell's, I flipped through a cookbook compilation (maybe the Guardian's?). It was a quick browse, but I did glance a recipe entry from Ferran Adria: Toasted Spaghetti with Clams. It was one of the smallest entries in the book. Not only did his name catch my eye, but also the recipe title. Toasted = good. Spaghetti = good. Clams = good. I didn't have clams. But I had olive oil, spaghetti noodles, parsley, and garlic. And I had a tin of sardines. Basically, the recipe calls for toasting the spaghetti noodles in a pan with olive oil. Break the noodles in half or thirds. Place in a heated pan with olive oil coating the bottom. Turn noodles with tongs while cooking. When lightly golden, add chopped parsley and garlic, maybe some chili flakes, and water/broth. Cook until pasta is al dente, adding water as needed. Then add clams - or in my case, sardines. I have tried this three times. I have liked it each time. Once I only used dried herbs and it was lovely. Each time, I have had some overly toasted noodles. But I often had burnt toast as a kid, so it doesn't bother me much. The noodles have a toasted taste, as well as a toasty texture. Enjoy a twist on an old standby.

Comments

Popular Posts