There you have it

Everyone is talking about the end of summer, the beginning of fall. I'm not ready. I was so ready for summer - and then it came late. I want one of those autumns where it is 85 degrees in mid-October. Kind of like those surprise days in May, when it gets over 90. It just makes the easing in and out better. And most of all I need a little more heat because my tomatoes are just ripening. Finally. Of course, I haven't been waiting around for my tomatoes. Anyone and everyone with fresh ripe tomatoes will get my attention in late summer. Someone brought in a bag of cherry tomatoes last week. I sat down next to it and made a significant dent in the supply. (Also note that another coworker brought in smoked salmon, so there was more of a reason to stake out territory.) And yesterday, I bought the reddest, juiciest cherry tomatoes to make this pasta goodness.* Why does chewy baked cheese taste so good with crunchy, garlicky bread crumbs? *I intended to link you to the recipe, but I don't remember where I read it... Basically, it is a few cloves of chopped garlic, mixed with roughly equal amounts bread crumbs and shredded parmesan, and olive oil to combine. I used 3/4 cup each. Spread the mixture over halved cherry tomatoes in a baking dish and cook until the tomatoes are soft and sweet, the cheese is chewy, and the bread crumbs are crisp. I did 10-15 mins at 375. At the same time this was being prepped, Josh and I put together this apple crisp. His friends gave us a bag of smallish, crisp apples and we happily consumed them. We didn't have walnuts. And we didn't have lemon juice (white wine worked just fine) or whipped cream to top. But it was just fine without. In fact, apple crisp for breakfast the next morning, with a little milk... Also just fine. So maybe with the magic of apples, I will be ready for fall. And crunching leaves under foot. And squash and scarves. However, if those tomatoes ripen, I will be back outside for one last summer salad.

Comments

Popular Posts