cinco de mayo potluck #8

My friend Drew and I have been having an annual cinco de mayo potluck for years. We embrace the holiday for the food and spirit of the celebration. And cinco de mayo is a good underdog story. Who doesn't like to toast to that? Sometimes there's a bit of competition to our potluck - a homemade salsa or beans cook off. This year, we had distinct dishes, sweet desserts, and plenty of Negro Modelo.

Homemade dulce de leche sauce. I felt giddy making this. It makes the whole apartment smell sweet. (Bon Appétit - January, 2003 recipe, available on epicurious)


Mexican Coleslaw with Black Beans. I made this to lighten up the buffet. Thinly sliced red cabbage, cilantro, black beans, and a spicy sour cream dressing (sour cream, hot sauce, cider vinegar, lime juice, salt).

Elizabeth's Posole: Mexican soup with tender pork and hominy.

Drew's famous beans. One year I accidentally turned up the wrong stove top dial and burned his beans. Accidental sabotage, mind you, but he lost the competition that year. I didn't interfere this time and they were just right.

Elizabeth goes all out with this bread pudding. When I woke up the next morning, I wished I could have some for breakfast.

Basic chocolate cake takes on a new meaning with dulce de leche.

Margarita and Tostada-themed cupcakes by Jade and Amy.

Comments

  1. ohh Anna--I'm so glad you two do this every year--how fun to think about the new fun recipe I want to try out for that years cinco party-eventhough cinco is kinda lame, politically, yadda yadda-- but the food and the fun is not lame, at all, ever :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts