Don't change the menu

I heard from two different sources this week, "It doesn't matter what you make for Thanksgiving dinner, as long as it's the same menu." This is true with my family. We like things to be the same every year. We have the traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberries, and mashed potatoes, the standard green beans, sweet potato casserole, butter rolls, and pumpkin pie. Every year. We love it. And I've heard of other families holding steady with their favorite menus of ham and scalloped potatoes or enchiladas and Spanish rice. We like our traditions.

My Aunt Peggy makes the cardamom butter rolls for each holiday dinner. Last year, she went to her in law's Thanksgiving dinner and we were left without the rolls. I actually stopped in the buffet line and stared at the basket of store-bought rolls, confused. I looked at my cousin behind me with a look that asked, "What is this?" Something was missing. But this year, the homemade rolls were back in the lineup. And I proceeded smoothly through the buffet without pause. I felt very thankful.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts