A home away from home


I just got back from visiting relatives in Iowa. I like how everything slows down when I'm there, that I can wander through my family's history, walk down the streets where my Dad grew up, eat the food he ate, hear the crickets, see the fields far into the horizon.
My first night's dinner was a hard act to follow. My Aunt made a pork roast, cheesy potato casserole, and sweet corn. I had arrived.
The days that followed included ribs, pulled pork sandwiches, cakes, steak with Iowa's own Maytag blue cheese, Dutch letter pastries... I figure I ate more ice cream in the last week than I have had in six months combined. It was delicious.


At the state fair, we tried a Hot Beef Sundae. I was dubious, but it turned out to be perfect comfort food. Mashed potatoes topped with a shredded beef gravy, cheese, and a cherry tomato on top.


A butter cow sculpture:





My aunt and I made a pasta salad for my cousin Sara's dinner party. She left us specific instructions to follow. We did our best.








My birthday cake: "Pea Pickin' Cake" with mandarin oranges in the butter/yellow cake and crushed pineapple in the frosting.



A lovely luncheon dessert with raspberry sorbet layered over a creamy cheesecake ice cream. A sweet end to a special visit.

Comments

Popular Posts